I have just released AZIndex version 0.7.1 to the unsuspecting world 8-).
The only significant change in this release is the addition of support for national languages. This means that indexes should now be sorted (collated) in the correct order, and accented characters (and other non-English characters) should appear correctly in the alphabetical titles and links in your index.
My thanks to commenter “K” who took the time to test an early (and not so successful) version of the national language support. Thanks to his perseverance, I have managed to squash many of the bugs that were still in the code a couple of days ago.
To enable the national language support for an index simply select the Turn on additional support for national languages option in the index settings. In the vast majority of cases, that is all you should need to do. There are also options to set different locale and collation tables, but unless you are having problems with items appearing out of order or being grouped incorrectly, then you should not need to use them.
All European languages should be supported, but I am less certain about languages like Chinese and Japanese. It’s also possible that the right-to-left languages (Arabic and Hebrew) may still not work correctly. Feedback on any of these is welcome.
Please note, I have only tested these new options on English Windows XP and Linux systems, so it is possible that some bugs will show up when you run AZIndex on non-English systems. Please report any problems you find by posting a comment on this blog or via email.